$100 million anybody? |
With the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance happening just a few short weeks ago in Monterey, California, it’s nice to see that Canadians won’t have to travel south of the border to see the latest supercars or award winning classic cars.
Canada’s most valuable collection of Supercars and Luxury brands rolls into VanDusen Botanical Garden’s Great Lawn on September 6th and 7th 2014, promising to be bigger and better than last year’s sold out event..
Vancouver’s Luxury & Supercar Weekend is considered by many to be the most prestigious automobile lifestyle event in Canada. This year’s show continues to bring together an impressive assortment of rare and expensive automotive toys.
I was invited to Friday’s media-only day where supercar after supercar was unloaded, many being trucked in from other parts of the country. It seems that years of building up the caché of this annual event has continued to pay off.
Vehicle manufacturers have also recognized the value of this show with Bugatti promising to bring a Veyron for the weekend, and BMW showcasing an delicious selection of M-Performance cars including the M3, M4, M6 Grand Coupe, and the BMW i8 electric supercar.
McLaren has one of the most impressive displays on-site, including a $1,500,000+ McLaren P1 positioned next to a $2,500,000+ Pagani Huayra.
On a more affordable front, a hat tip to Ford Canada for contributing a pre-production 2015 yellow Mustang GT 5.0 V8. It was my second time seeing the 2015 model in the flesh and it is absolutely stunning.
But you don’t have to be a fan of supercars just to be able to appreciate the show. If you’re not enticed enough to see million-dollar supercars in the flesh, there is also a huge assortment of classic award-winning cars competing in the show’s Canadian Concours D’Elegance event as well as modified vehicles that will be sure to satisfy Vancouver’s tuning fanatics.
OpenRoad Auto Group’s CEO, Christian Chia, even has his rare million dollar Toyota 2000GT on show, as well as his mint condition whale tail Porsche 911 (930) Turbo.
Among the handful of local tuning and fabrication shops proudly showcasing some of their best works, local vehicle vinyl wrap company, Wrap-Workz has an impressive assortment of customer cars on display including a stunning blue chromed wrapped Saleen S7 race car.
Top 2014 Automotive Highlights include:
A wide collection of Luxury and Supercars from Lamborghini, Pagani, McLaren, Bugatti, Ferrari, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Cadillac, Lincoln and many more.
This year’s Canadian Concours d’Elegance classes includes 100th anniversary of Maserati, 50 years of Mustang, 50 years of Jensen, 50 years of Sunbeam Tigers, The British Invasion, American Supercars, Modified Luxury and Modified Supercars, Chromes and Fins, Off Road Luxury, 50 years of Chevelle and GTO, Italian Supercars, Restomod, and Pre-First World Was (Brass Era).
- Pagani Huayra – Powered by a 720-horsepower twin turbo, the fastest car to go around the Top Gear test track.
- McLaren P1 – One of seven in Canada.
- 2015 Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 – The first public showing in Canada.
- 2014 Rolls-Royce Ghost Majestic Horse Edition.
- 2015 BMW i8 – The ultimate electric luxury car.
- 2015 Bentley GT Speed – The fastest Bentley ever produced.
- 1933 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 GS 6th Series – Winner of the Gold Cup at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este in Italy.
- 1957 Maserati 200 Si owned by Franco Cornacchia & Carroll Shelby – One of only 28 ever built.
- 1937 Bugatti type 57 – The only drophead coupe grabber body made in Switzerland.
- 1964 Rivision Buick Riviera ‘Ridler Award Winner’ – The only Canadian car and builder to win this award in 40 years.
Top 2014 Lifestyle Highlights include:
- A partnership with Oakridge Centre Fashion showcasing a total of six fashion shows throughout the weekend. Some of the top international brands presented will include: Dolce & Gabbana, Burberry London, Comme des Garcons, Tom Ford, Moncler, WEEKEND by Max Mara, and BCBGMAXAZRIA.
- Dishes prepared by some of Vancouver’s Top Chefs
- Over 100 luxury retailers including automotive, music, art, gourmet food suppliers, top Vancouver restaurants, champagne, wine and spirits companies, and private car collectors.